Friday, May 3, 2024

He misses Lewisburg, but Jerry's content in this clean, well-lighted place; Crackers for my pal, handshakes with my new friends

Jerry "Chuckles" Manley, with aviator's cap, speaks with radio news hound Scott "Badger" Shelton as, left, Rob "Death" Dollar and, at right, Tim "Flapjacks" Ghianni, Jim "Flash" Lindgren and ET look on. A few months later, Chico, the monkey, escaped. I think ET phoned home.  

 “I keep thinking I’m in Lewisburg,” says my beloved friend, as he waits for lunch to be served in the dining and social hall of the Memory Care Ward.

“I don’t know why,” Jerry says.

Actually, it is wishful thinking for Jerry Manley, my pal for a half-century … most of which he has forgotten.

Still, he wishes he was in the Lewisburg house where he lived for a few years after life and a newspaper – for guys like him and me, those things are one in the same – let him down.

“All I remember is being in my house. I think I fell down and couldn’t get up. And I guess they brought me here. Here I am.”

He rocks back in the padded chair – “It’s not as comfortable as it looks” – and says he wishes he still was in that house.

“But I guess I won’t be. Who is living there now?”

I answer that it’s his nephew, Steven, who moved in long ago to share the house near a creek. Steven gradually assumed more and more of the care of his deteriorating uncle. That last fall was what triggered the move to the nursing home.

“I don’t remember much. Don’t even remember how long I’ve been here,” Jerry says, with a smile, no bitterness.

I tell him it was right after Thanksgiving when his family -- the loved ones who had done their best for him in between regular stays in hospitals, rehab centers and old folk’s homes down in Lewisburg -- realized they couldn’t care for him. And, he couldn’t take care of himself.

“We had a dog down there at my house,” he says. “A white dog. Name was Snow. I’m surprised I can remember that. Course, I guess we named him that because he was all white.”

My friend has always loved pets – I used to dog-sit for him and his then-wife up in Clarksville, when they went to family reunions and such.

Those family reunions were what Jerry built his summers around for as long as I knew him.  Folks from Petersburg, Lewisburg and rural areas not deserving of names would show up around the Fourth of July for a week or so.

He had two uncles who would come in from California.  “One lived in San Diego, one in San Francisco. One year we went out and visited them both. It was a beautiful drive between them.”

He and his second wife took the Pacific Coast Highway – my favorite road in all my ramblings – at least part of the way.

I remind Jerry that he was at the reunion (and single again) when he got the call from the morning newspaper that they were buying him out. That’s what they do with people like us, put a little package together and sweet-talk you about their generosity as they stab you in the back. The sweet-talk fell on deaf ears in my case, though there literally seemed to be a sharp pain between my shoulder blades. Or maybe a couple feet lower.

Jerry didn’t even get the courtesy of being stabbed in the back, and he’d been a valuable editor and leader at the paper for about 30 years. It was simply a cold call. The coldest variety.

“They just called me at the family reunion and said ‘don’t come back to work,’” is one thing he remembers clearly, in a conversation we had back in his room, before we ambled down to the lunch room.

I ask him what his response was.  “I told them that was a shitty way to treat me,” he says.   “Shitty way. Shitty.”

I’d gotten to the nursing home in the morning, and as I walked in with food contraband in my cargo shorts, I had to walk around a gathering in the hallway of the part of the facility where people still have most of their marbles.

“We had a lot of complaints about yesterday’s lunch,” says a tall, young guy in his late-50s or early 60s.

He’s clearly some sort of administrator and, from the size of the gathering of folks – many in wheelchairs – it is clear that he is attempting to stave off some sort of revolt.

“We won’t serve that again,” he said, to a sour chorus of “no more mystery meat.”

I gave the rebels two thumbs-up as I cut through their cafeteria, where one resident was laughing about the hubbub, and continued to the Memory Care Ward.

I heard one more “mystery meat” jeer as the door closes behind me.

Jerry was sleeping as “Columbo” stumbled and yammered through another murder on the big television.

I woke him by putting the bottle of Diet SunDrop in his right hand.

“This for me?” he asks, as he twists the cap off. Both of us had trouble with the cap the other day, so I had a woman at the gas station where I bought this drink loosen it for me before I went to the nursing home.

I also gave him two packs of Ritz sandwich crackers – peanut butter and the other cheese – and I sat down next to him.

“What was that headline we wrote?” he asks me right after I bring up the subject of the legend of Chico the Monkey, a highlight of the many years when I was in charge of the Sunday newspaper.

I bring that up every visit, because he smiles and he remembers the night in the newsroom in Clarksville when police reporter Rob “Death” Dollar wrote the tale of a police pursuit of an escaped monkey in a neighborhood not far from Swan Lake Golf Course.

The monkey’s quest for freedom – sometimes people just want to be free – baffled the sheriff’s deputies, who kept code-talking on the scanner and talking about the monkey business.

Rob had gone out to the scene for a while, then came back with notes and a report and worked the story as we listened to the scanner.  Then I read it out loud, with Jerry and Rob right there, all chipping in monkey puns and aping the words of Chico’s pursuers.

“Deputies go bananas; 'Monkey at large'” was the headline Jerry wrote – again with help from me and Rob.

We streamed it across the top of the front page of the Sunday editions of The Leaf-Chronicle, and adjourned for scotch with the exhausted deputies -- who did not catch the monkey --  to Buford Thaxton’s Camelot nightclub.

The following Monday morning began with one of my frequent invites to publisher Luther Thigpen’s office.

I’ve written this story before, and it ends with a column I wrote a few months later that begins “Chico, the monkey, is dead” or something like that. He’d survived for months on his own before neighborhood dogs ate him. Poor damn Chico. “Freedom’s just another word for nothin’ left to lose,” a friend wrote back in the 1960s.

This Chico story always perks Jerry up, and we go on to remembrances of other stories told – most much more tragic, involving many GI traffic fatalities (Fort Campbell is adjacent to Clarksville), asbestos in schools, teenage rape and murder victims and killers. I guess, come to think of it, Chico’s story was plenty tragic as well.

“Remember Skipper?” I’ll ask Jerry, when I bring up the name of a down-and-outer we’d befriended, even taking him to bars and parties. He was probably only 70, which seemed so old at the time.

“Sure,” Jerry says, reciting the first line of my initial column about Okey “Skipper” Stepp: “Me and old Skipper sat on a bench. It was hot. Boy was it hot.”

I had a deep love for Skipper, and he was the last person I visited – at a nursing home, where he spent his final days – before I left Clarksville for a somewhat spectacular, somewhat bittersweet life of a newspaperman in Nashville.

“John Staed was here the other day,” Jerry says. John’s nickname is “Street News Brother,” and he’s a good guy. He visited Jerry about six weeks ago.

 “Columbo gets too much for me,” says Jerry, switching the channels and wildly ending up on a gospel preacher’s show.  We watch it for a little bit before finding a cartoon version of Spiderman.

“Man, I’m hungry,” my friend says, as he throws the cracker wrappers away and washes down the last crumbs with Diet SunDrop.

It is almost lunchtime, so we get up and walk, carefully – I’m as much of a falling risk as Jerry is – through the hallways, stepping around the workmen who are painting the walls. The rain of careless spots on the carpet indicates that new floor covering is on its way.

“What is the name of this facility?” Jerry asks, as he sits down in a comfortable – it seems --chair to wait in the dining hall/social room for his lunch.

I tell him the name and add that it is in Brentwood.

“I don’t know why, but I keep thinking I’m in Lewisburg.”

I leave him there to await his lunch and I go to the dining room door, propping it open so that three other men I’ve met here can get in for their lunch.

All of them shake my hand, like I’m the end of a receiving line, as they pass me. I really like these people.

A dietician rolls her cart through the locked doors from the regular wing to the Memory Care Ward.

“What you got for them today?” I ask her, as I see something resembling big trays of hamburger and pasta and veggies, on her cart. Hamburger Helper, perhaps?

“I just bring this stuff from the kitchen,” she says. “I don’t know what it is.”

I look back and wave to my friend.  I'm sad at the realization:

Jerry's not in Lewisburg anymore.        

 

 

      

No comments:

Post a Comment