Saturday, June 22, 2024

Pops goes to see pretty witches and blood drawn while Jerry eats crackers; I play with my cane and enjoy cucumber water in final hours before summer blasts in & Chuckles gets hot shower

 

This is a 1983 picture of "Pops" or "Flapjacks," really, during his youth when he went to Hopkinsville and befriended The Lone Ranger. This has nothing to do with Jerry, aka "Chuckles", since he didn't go. My late brother Eric, late pal Scott "Badger" Shelton and my News Brothers co-founder Rob "Death" Dollar all went. Now "Pops" is a sort of nursing home Lone Ranger for his pal. Eric took this photo and also made me the cane I use to walk today. I miss Badger and Eric. And I also really miss Old Jerry.  Well, I still haven't gotten over the fact my brother, Eric, is dead, so I try to work him into my memories and adventures. He was a nice guy, who loved The News Brothers. 

“Pops” was back at the Shell station, and the pretty, young black woman was worried again as I was stocking up for my visit to see my longest-tenured newspaperman pal, whether he’d remember my visit or not.

Well, he’s no longer a newspaperman. Nor am I. Jerry Manley -- aka "Chuckles News Brother" (I am "Flapjacks," as you know) and I were stripped of that once-prestigious rank years ago. Age was the reason. Also, veteran newspapermen and women were sacrificed to make way for content creators, ideally those who also were willing backstabbers.

Anyway, I smiled across the counter to the kind, young woman at the gas station.

“You got this, Pops?” she asked  – I couldn’t see her nametag because I didn’t want to stare at her feminine accoutrements (I do not want to be a “dirty old Pops”), but I’ll simply ask her name next time. Quinccy, the manager, must be taking one of his four weeks of vacation. He got in trouble last year for not taking it. (“I like it here, being around the people,” he explained last December when I ragged him about not taking his earned days off. Then I remembered, I never took all mine off either, back when I loved my work. Before desperadoes like me and Jerry were kicked in the nuts and tossed to the curb. I don’t know where they kicked the newspaperwomen, but I’m sure it ached.)

“Yeah, I have it OK,” I told the lovely young woman as I picked up the plastic bag with its two packages of peanut butter crackers (per Jerry’s request, I opted out of the cheese crackers this week) and the last Diet SunDrop in the station’s wall-size cooler.

I paid her for the treats as well as $8 for gas – I have a 40-year-old Saab and try to keep the tank topped off, especially in hot weather, when vapor locks can screw up the fuel injectors – and turned to get to the door. A line of four Hispanic lawnmower fellers and a country club-looking white guy in an alligator shirt were waiting for me to get my limping ass out of the way.

Speaking of which, the young woman’s nicely proportioned hindquarters suddenly were in front of me, as she ran to hold open the door.

I may not always feel old, but I certainly look the part. It’s embarrassing, but when nice-looking young women like to tend to my needs, I’ve never sternly objected, ever, in my life.  I hope they help other old people, those who really can’t carry a plastic bag 50 feet.

I did my best not to brush against her as I stepped through the door and out to the pumps where the old Saab, as is per custom, was waiting at Pump No. 8. I’m a mysteriously superstitious fellow, and I always use the same gas pump. Although last week, a big box truck toting potato chips was in my way. So, I had to use Pump No. 6. I haven’t felt right about it ever since.

Outside the facility where Jerry likely is the youngest Memory Care Ward resident – the woman who walks the halls, complaining about the knuckleheads and other folks who live here, may be younger – two women in white summer dresses are leaning back in their white wicker chairs, sipping from glasses of water with cucumber slices.

On this portico, the nursing home has a huge pickle jar – the two-gallon size you see on a bar, generally filled with giant dills with slime covering the top of the brine. This one was sparkling clean, filled with ice, water and slices of cucumber. These women are enjoying it so much, I stop and grab a paper cup full. Getting gas on a 100-degree day makes an old, crippled man thirsty for cucumber water.

And crippled is what I am. I finally admit it. I am using my gnarled old cane -- the one my dead brother made from a lemon bush or something  like that when he was still alive --  most of the time I’m in public.

It makes it easier to walk and keep my top half from bending over and watching the concrete. A doctor wants to cut me open and fix my back soon. I’ll meet with him next week. Since my brother recently went into that same hospital for dehydration and came out as a corpse a month later, I’m not sure I want to get surgery there.  I’d rather not be dead, though, I suppose it would be nice to walk again without pain or the cane. As I tussle with it, I keep remembering the truth Eric taught me: Dehydration is not as bad as death. It scares me.

I lumber – literally, since the big stick with the Paul McCartney quote burned into it is a helluva thick piece of wood – through the front part of the nursing home, where “normal” people live, exchanging one-liners and dirty limericks starting with lines like “There once was a girl with a truck….” Or “There was an old maid named Venus ….”

These people on this day are having a discussion with the social worker about the importance of sex in a marriage and how attitudes toward sex have changed during the last century.

“I waited until I was 17, when I got married,” said one woman. “I got married because of the war (WWII? Korea? Even Vietnam?).  I didn’t see him for two years after we married.

“He was in the Navy, and he told me he didn’t have a girl in every port, that he was all mine.”

  “Young  people now just want it too soon. They need to wait until they find the right person,” added another older woman.

There was a lot of giggling among this group of probably 20, all-women, who are talking about their desires.  “Man, if I was just 40 years older,” I thought. Not really, but I figured I’d throw that in.

Vikki, the dietician in the “Memory Care Ward – attached by double security doors to the “normal” rest home – lets me enter the section where my friend, Jerry, will live until he dies, or so he tells me.

“Let me see first if he’s in here,” she says, ducking into the party room.

The folks gathered there, even my pal Milford/Bob and the guy with the Vanderbilt sweatshirt, are loudly singing some hymn that includes God, eternal joy, death and weeping willows. I don’t recognize it – I actually am pretty aware of classic hymns – but I am impressed by the joy and bluster.

Vikki steps away from good Rocky’s revival, or whatever is going on, and tells me “Jerry must be in his room.’’

When I find him, he is watching some sort of fantasy/horror film starring three lovely young women – “They’re all witches,” Jerry says, I think defining the women on screen, but perhaps speaking of the entire gender.  Actually, he likes women. Married a couple of them and even has a daughter, who, he says has not visited him in a long time.

“I didn’t even know last Sunday was Father’s Day,” he says, when I ask him if he heard from his kids (His daughter lives in Nashville, his son in the Houston, Texas, area).

Course, even if they had been here, he wouldn’t remember. Last week there were several greeting cards, most unsigned, on Jerry’s bureau.  One of the signed ones is all that remains, and it is addressed to “Stan” – a name unclaimed by both living residents in this room.

I glance at it to see if it applies to either Jerry or Bob. Nope. It’s a note written to Stan, and “Uncle Milt is out of the hospital and being taken care of by Aunt Barb.”

I sit down to watch the really stupid witch movie, letting Jerry enjoy.  

I do butt in to ask if anyone has visited him lately – other than his kids, who he maintains have not.

“No. You’re the last one I’ve seen. Only one who comes.  I think John Staed came by once, but that was a long time ago."

In recent weeks, Jerry has maintained that John has dropped by recently and maybe often. On this day, John’s single visit was a ways in the past, in Jerry’s mind. And since John – who really is a nice guy and was one of the less-famous News Brothers, sort of like Zeppo was to our Groucho, Chico and Harpo pack of (should-be) committed brothers – has never been here, his ghost visits have been the source of joy.

“I don’t remember. Maybe he comes by when he visits his sister,” who lives in Brentwood and like John tries to stay away from a place like this. I’ve visited a lot of nursing homes in my life – I used to write about the residents – and the one thing they have in common is that, while sparkling clean, they all smell like rotting leaves. Or flesh, I suppose.

While Jerry watches the witches cast a spell on him on TV, dietician Vikki – a really large and warm-hearted woman – comes into the room. She looks at the empty cracker wrappers and the almost-empty bottle of Diet SunDrop. She shakes her head at me for my contraband rules violation, but she smiles.

“I’m just glad Jerry has someone visiting him,” she says, slicing the end of his “fuck you” finger and taking a blood sample.

“Sugar’s a little high today. I’ll get you before lunch,” she says.

Before leaving the room, she reminds Jerry it is shower day.

“It’s always too cold,” he says.

“He always says the water is too cold, and so is the room after,” Vikki says, turning the room thermostat up to 84, “so it will be good and warm in here after lunch when you take your shower.”

Since I am susceptible to heat and it’s 100 or so outside, I almost pass out when the hot air starts roaring into the room.

“I need to go, now, Jerry,” I say.  “You make sure you let Vikki give you a shower this afternoon.”

Vikki tells him lunch is being served, so we begin walking, arm-over-shoulder down to the dining hall/party room.

Vikki leads us first into her office, where she gives him a half-dozen pills, some cranberry juice and a pair of insulin shots in his gut.

I walk Jerry the rest of the way to the lunchroom.

“Man, you should have been here back around 10:30 or so, they were singing hymns in here. Something about God and willow trees, or some such,” I joke my friend.

“I really don’t care that much about religion,’’ he said. “But I do like some of those songs.”

The stunning nurse with dreadlocks – I don’t know her name – lets me out the double-locked doors, while Jerry’s “please don’t go” eyes follow me.

“I’ll be back in a few days,” I say, after turning my head to see my friend watching my departure.  “Hey, it turns into summer at 3:50 this afternoon.”

“I didn’t know they actually had a time for it to start,” Jerry answers, seeming confused

Vikki grabs his left arm and leads him into the lunchroom, where songs about God and willows presided a while before.

The “normal” old people are eating some sort of meat and potatoes concoction when I pass them by.  Toothless gumming sounds replace all of the talk about sexual healing I’d heard awhile before.

Out on the porch, old Pops grabs one more paper cup of iced, cucumber water, and I hit the road.

    

     

No comments:

Post a Comment