Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Kris Kristofferson's words helped make Nashville my home, his friendship warmed my soul; For 88 years, his love and laughter and poetry made the world a better place. Now he's passed the rainbow

 

Kris Kristofferson and I sing "The Silver-Tongued Devil and I" outside a building that occupies the site of the old Tally-Ho Tavern. This was in 2003, when I asked the great singer-songwriter and human being to join me for a stroll down his Memory Lane on an even-then-unrecognizable Music City Row. Johnny Kristofferson, then 16, took this picture for us.  

The party's all over
Drink up and go home.
It's too late to love her
And leave her alone.

Epitaph (Black and Blue) is evidence of how Kris Kristofferson took personal heartache and soul-numbing regret and faded-jeans despair and seldom-success and turned it to poetry.

He sliced open his heart and shared it with the world in his songs, like this particular one about a lover and a friend who died with a needle in her arm, figurative and literal. 

This song, literally, came to Kris and his wingman “Funky” Donnie Fritts, the Alabama Leaning Man, when they shared the quiet, after all of the farewells and tears, after their friend Janis Joplin “died all alone.”

Janis was the best female rock singer ever (I am hyperbolic, yet truthful). One of her greatest accomplishments was turning Kris’ windshield wipers-punctuated, harp-driven tale of loneliness and lost souls in a dark, wet night, “Me and Bobby McGee,” into a Top 40 (when there was such a thing) radio classic.

Kris -- with the Leaning Man’s musical help -- turned his heartbreak, Janis’ self-destructive waste, Funky Donnie’s bluesy accompaniment, and his own “why couldn’t we have saved her from herself and the world” melancholy and turned it into “Epitaph (Black and Blue),” a song that is one most people skip over.  To say it’s one of his best is opinion only. How many songs qualify in that ranking?

Fittingly, “Epitaph” is the final song, the 10th track, from his breakthrough album, The Silver-Tongued Devil and I, that proved this student of William Blake’s recommended life of excess, an admirer and by then a friend and student of John R. Cash, was not to be ignored.

He was, with his words, changing the vocabulary of country music. Yes, there were the beer-soaked pickup lines at The Tally-Ho Tavern – my own favorite watering hole a half-plus century back.

There also was the lover’s lament – “Loving Her Was Easier (Than Anything I’ll Ever Do Again),” the contradictions offered by beliefs in Christ, peace and patriotism in “Good Christian Soldier,” the love, innocence and subtle melancholy of “Jody and the Kid.” Janis’ death, mourned in “Epitaph” is revisited in “Billy Dee” – “yesterday they found him on the floor of his hotel, reachin’ for that needle arm that drove him down to hell.”  He took his “why?” reaction to Janis’ death and used it to populate the tale of promise snatched away by the world.

 It may be his soul was bigger than a body's oughta be

singin' songs and bringin' laughter to the likes of you and me

cause the world he saw was sadder than the one he hoped to find

but it wasn't near as lonesome as the one he left behind

yesterday they found him on the floor of his hotel

reachin' towards the needle, Lord, that drove him down to hell

some folks called it suicide, others blame the speed

but we all called it crucified when Billy Dee O.D.'d

  And there is “The Pilgrim, Chapter 33” about life, ambition and disappointment. This and the title track are the two with which I most identify.

 “See him wasted on the sidewalk in his jacket and his jeans, wearing yesterday’s misfortunes like a smile. Once he had a future of money, love and dreams, which he spent like they was goin’ out of style….”  

It was that album, his second with his The Border Lords band, that announced to the Baby Boomers -- the folks who digested every word by Dylan and Lennon and McCartney, every wail of Clapton’s and Hendrix’s guitars, every tale of debauchery and resulting conquest by Richards and Jagger … well, you get the idea – that there was a voice as complex on Nashville’s 17th Avenue South.   And it was accompanied by Dobro players like Uncle Josh Graves or the flattop picking of Mac Wiseman.

I bought that album in 1971 at the same store and perhaps on the same shopping trip that I bought Led Zeppelin’s first (and by far, best) album. A year or so before I bought Steppenwolf’s debut there.  Everything by Dylan. Of course, Beatles and Stones and Sly and Who, Simon & Garfunkel and Airplane, Dead and Messenger Service.  Hell, even Vanilla Fudge and Iron Butterfly and Moby Grape ended up on my turntable.

But suddenly, there was this voice telling -- not in psychedelic wordplay but in plain, simple language turned to Blake-style poetry -- tales of misery and dreams and a cussing kid kicking a can down lonely 17th Avenue South on a hungover Sunday Morning.

I smoked my brain the night before on cigarettes and songs that I’d been pickin’.

That song of a regretful and quiet Sunday was on his self-titled first album (later titled “Me and Bobby McGee” to capitalize on Janis’ impact).

In that album, that includes “Bobby McGee,” by the way, there’s a wicked slash at American middle-class hypocrisy – told in a Salvation Army Band growl -- titled “Blame it on the Stones.

Father's at the office, nightly working all the time
Trying to make the secretary change her little mind
And it bothers him to read about so many broken homes
Blame it on those Rolling Stones.

 In the wake of Kris’ death last Saturday, September 28, 2024, a host of expert music critics and even more heartsick fans have weighed in on the guy’s importance, even though most had ignored him in the last decade or two.


Early in the 2000s -- actually the night after I was told the newspaper was "buying me out," I attended a Kris Kristofferson "residency" at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum. Kris and I were just chatting, probably about corporate cruelty. Great photographer John Partipilo shot this photo. 


In this little piece, I’m only a human being, a Boomer, of hand-rolled, hoisting Mad Dog vintage, who listened to this man with stubble-bearded wisdom and values. I’m no music nor social scholar, I’m a normal guy who discovered Kris’ music as tonic for my own long nights and my real fears of being drafted back in 1971. So much of this stuff, from the 1960s and 1970s was crafted at 1717 17th Avenue South – a long-gone, rotting, redneck tenement-like apartment building where my friend the Rev. Will Campbell told me the floors were dirt, even the upstairs ones.  They also were so flimsy, Will – a walking contradiction as a civil activist Baptist preacher, liberal leftist and kind old man – told me he always feared his upstairs neighbor Kris would come right through the ceiling at the end of a long shift serving and drinking beer at The Tally-Ho.  

Of course, The Tally-Ho Tavern – later The Country Boy – was actually a character in Kris’ tales. It is where The Silver-Tongued Devil fuels his seductive nature with a bottle of beer or two.

Kris actually worked at that tavern – now a Curb building is in that spot – and told me many times about how he was paid something like $50 a week and all he could drink.  “I came out ahead on that,” he’d say, with that charming laugh. It may have been $100 a week. I am just visiting my head for this tale, not doing any research. If I miss a lyric or two, a year or two, a street or two, that’s only because my mental transmission falters with grief.

Kris long-ago moved from Nashville. But he kept coming back. Waylon, Cash, Vince Matthews, Billy Ray Reynolds, Captain Midnight all were here to greet him.  Now all are dead. One of his few remaining close friends from those days is Chris Gantry, who, when I told him how sorry I was that his old friend had succumbed to the physical and mental maladies of the last many years said: “At least now he’s free.”

On one of Kris’ visits to Nashville, after Johnny Cash died, he and his family stuck around awhile for a planned tribute special. He’d not been to Music City Row (as he called it) during the daylight in the 30 years since he moved West – to Malibu and Maui.  Swimming pools. Movie stars … as his friends Lester and Earl sang.

I asked if he’d like to spend his Sunday with me, walking down the Row, resurrecting memories of what had been the Hollywood of country (and some rock and blues) recording. I was surprised, kind of, that he took me up on the idea.

“Can I bring my son, Johnny, along?” he asked.

It was a Sunday Afternoon Coming Down, filled with comrades’ laughter, sure, but always downcast by reality.

 “I wish the old stuff was still here,” or something like that, he said, as we walked what are the various Music Squares East, West, etc. – the “identities” given to 16th and 17th avenues south and their cross streets when the city began to bastardize history for the sake of tourism and to make way for condominiums where historic homes and recording studios once stood. Hell, my friend Chet Atkins’ office and the house it was in, the building where the Nashville Sound was fertilized, didn’t even survive the front-loaders and swinging ball-busters.   

In that civic effort, a massive statue of nude dancers, penises and vaginas fully exposed, was installed in the middle of a new roundabout in a spot where one of Hank Williams’ homes had stood, neglected. But now gone.  No one in Nashville now would miss it, of course. And they would have little idea of who Hank Williams was or that Kris did his best to bring that troubled son of Alabama’s musical grit intact and even push past those honky-tonk heartache boundaries.

“Look, Ethel, they’re nekkid!” hooted Kris, imitating the character in an old Ray Stevens’ Shriner song, as we rolled past the massive statue I refer to as Nudica. It’s impressive, but has little to do with three chords and the truth.     

Of course, I wrote a long story about that day spent with Kris on Music City Row. I was joyous for the pleasant surprise that was offered by having Kris and Lisa’s son, Johnny, along for the ride, and the walk.  Johnny, 16 then, had no knowledge of his dad’s history on these streets. Johnny was and remains a great young man, hatched and raised in the glory that was Maui. (“We are safe, the fires are on the other side of the island,” Lisa told me when I called after Maui’s “main city,” Lahaina, disappeared in flames a year ago.)

Johnny made a video of that excursion as his dad and I walked and talked, as Kris reflected and allowed slight melancholy for what already was lost – and this was more than 20 years ago – of the history of Music City Row.

Johnny wanted to share this bit of his dad’s history in a class project for his school not far from the Kristofferson homeplace on the edge of a volcano on Maui.

Outside the Curb building, in the space where once stood The Tally-Ho, Kris and I looked at each other, nodded and put our arms over our shoulders and sang “The Silver-Tongued Devil and I”:

I took myself down to the Tally-Ho Tavern to buy me a bottle of beer
I sat me down by a tender young maiden whose eyes were as dark as her hair
And as I was searchin' from bottle to bottle for somethin' unfoolish to say
That silver-tongued devil just slipped from the shadows and smilingly stole her away
I said hey little girl don't you know he's the devil he's everything that I ain't
Hidin' intentions of evil under the smile of a saint
All he's good for is gettin' in trouble and shifting his share of the blame
And some people swear he's my double and some even say we're the same
But the silver tongued devil's got nothing to lose I'll only live till I die
We take our own chances and pay our own dues the silver-tongued devil and I…

 Johnny sent me a copy of the videotape. Fortunate for everyone’s ears is that he didn’t record our duet.  Kris’ voice fits his songs. My voice sounds best when I’m trying to scare raccoons away from my garbage bin.  Johnny did take a slightly out-of-focus photo of the restless duet.

There were many more days and evenings with Kris (and usually his family was there, too) for the next couple of decades.

Once, backstage at the Ryman, Kris and Lisa said I was one of their favorite things about visiting Nashville.  Perhaps hyperbole? But I know when I got to spend time with them, those were some of my favorite things about living in my world.

When I wanted a picture of Kris and Lisa for my book -- Pilgrims, Pickers and Honky-Tonk Heroes -- Lisa Kristofferson got their son, Kris Kristofferson Junior to shoot one, ASAP, and send it to me. This shot was taken two years ago at a ski resort where the family had gathered. I will always love the Kristofferson family.

One time, in 2005, they were here to promote a racehorse feel-good movie, Dreamer. The interviews were taking place in his room at The Hermitage Hotel, but mine was scheduled in the dining room, giving him a more-casual, friendly respite and time for a few cups of coffee.

I told the greeter at the dining room that Kris was going to be down there in a few minutes and he and his publicist would be looking for me.  “When he gets here, I’ll just be the old man sitting at that table way back in the corner,” I said. The table was well out of eyeshot from the dining room entrance.

Five minutes later, big hands gripped my shoulders from behind. “Hello, Old Man,” Kris said, with a typical broad laugh.

“Hello, Young Man,” I replied, as I signaled to the waiter that he’d better bring us a full coffee pot. I had trimmed down to maybe a dozen cups a day from my 40-cups-a-day heyday.  And I knew Kris liked his coffee bold and black or in a glass over ice, with a wedge of lime.

There were other stories I wrote about him, about his music and his movies. There were more times when there was no story, just two old friends talking about life and family.

Sometimes, those visits turned more into talks with Lisa, as Kris conducted movie star business. That was fine, as I came not only to love Lisa but admire her deeply for taking a man whose fast-paced life was directed toward an early grave and turned him into a happy adult, a great fellow and friend. The guy who worshiped above all his family and his home. And, obviously, his music.  Lisa said Suzanne and I made a perfect couple, perhaps because she sensed the similarities of the women’s challenges and triumphs.

The most foolish I felt during our friendship was when word came to the guys on my entertainment writing staff that Ray Price had died.  That is big news in Music City, and so I jumped in with chief music writer Peter Cooper and entertainment columnist Brad Schmitt to work on getting reaction so we could put a story together for the front page. (Peter, by the way was a treasure, my best friend in Nashville, who seemingly had a world of “almost-best friends,” including Kris. He’s been dead almost two years.  Stupid.)

I always chipped in on those deadline obituaries, since it is hectic to track folks down. I was entertainment editor, and we shared a “shotgun” approach to quote-getting: Just keep calling and asking and see who you can get. In the next 40 minutes if not sooner.

I told the guys I’d get Kris, whose “For the Good Times’’ was turned into a forever classic by Ray, who I was fortunate to know. Kris regarded it as one of his life’s great achievements. So did Ray.

I called and Lisa answered. They were up in Toronto, Canada, touring. They were out for a seven-mile run, so I told her what had happened, and she said Kris would call back when they got to the hotel, and he caught his breath and composure.

Kris called within minutes, and he was both breathless and teary as I filled him in on the widespread national news reports about the death of his friend.

 Then, within a half-hour, those news reports were rescinded. The Cherokee Cowboy perhaps was not dead, after all.

 Weary of the “is he or isn’t he?” I called Ray’s house in Texas. His wife, Janie, told me Ray, who was on his deathbed, was not dead yet. My muddied memory has me talking to the Cherokee Cowboy on the phone, offering encouragement, at Janie’s urging and with her help.  Perhaps it didn’t happen.

Then I immediately called Kris and Lisa to tell them their friend was still breathing.

“We already sent flowers,” said Kris.

I said I was sorry for the fake news that made he and Lisa send their condolence floral arrangement, and he thanked me. “Nah, it’s better this way. He can get the flowers while he’s living.’’

I don’t need to rattle on about other encounters, other interviews, other chats.

I guess I should add that he was an enthusiast of my writing: “Tim is a wordsmith unlike any other,” he wrote as a Pilgrims, Pickers and Honky-Tonk Heroes’ cover blurb after he’d read advance copy. “We’ve shared some good times together, and he encapsulates the experiences as if they were yesterday. A truly gifted writer and friend.”  

I do need to add though that Kris is one of the main reasons I’ve spent my half-century as a journalist in the Nashville area.

Once my future was shiny as the seats of my pants are today, till old mother luck and all her daughters started ducking me.

 I told Kris that song, “I May Smoke Too Much,” seemed close to the bone for me. I also laughed when I asked if he meant to have an “f” rather than a “d” on “ducking.” He laughed back at me.

I’d become a disciple of his music, and especially his writing, while I was still in college. My folks moved from the Chicago area to Nashville after my junior year in college.

The thought of spending my last undergraduate summer in Nashville rather than drinking beer in the leftfield bleachers at Wrigley Field was tempered by one thing: I was going to make sure I met Kris Kristofferson, the guy who sang songs that narrated my life so far.

He's a poet, he's a picker
He's a prophet, he's a pusher
He's a pilgrim and a preacher, and a problem when he's stoned
He's a walkin' contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction,
Takin' ev'ry wrong direction on his lonely way back home.

 I didn’t stalk him, although I did call the number I found in the phone book, where I also found his address.  (Phone books were huge volumes that annually updated phone numbers and addresses, for those of you who never saw one.)

But I did begin taking myself down to the Tally-Ho Tavern to buy me a bottle of beer. And I wandered Music Row, where I met a lot of guys with guitars. I did watch as folks like Billy Ray Reynolds, Charlie Daniels, Funky Donnie Fritts, Billy Swan and Kris picked and sang at the picnic tables behind the bar. I didn’t interrupt them. I had nothing good to add.

And I went to Tootsie’s Orchid Lounge, had long talks with Tootsie and drank at least one beer. Forty years later, I joined Kris and Lisa at Tootsie’s where bar owners installed a copper or brass plaque in the floor, honoring Kris as the first member of their “Floor of Fame.’’

He said a few generous words, then climbed down from the stage, asking me if I thought his words were OK.  I patted his back with approval.

I don’t go to Lower Broadway anymore. Drunken bachelorettes in crotch-exposing flimsy dresses and conventioneers and tourists stumbling and barfing really isn’t my scene. So, I have no idea if there have been more plaques added to the floor at Tootsie’s.   

It was in that old lounge that I began to listen to the musicians, like Lefty, E.T., Porter and the rest talk about their misadventures while they savored a beer or two between sets across the alley, when the Opry was at the Ryman full-time.

He has tasted good and evil in your bedrooms and your bars, and he's traded in tomorrow for today, runnin' from his devils Lord and reachin' for the stars and losin' all he's loved along the way ....

 The love for the city that was the setting for that song about the fellow who begins the first verse "wasted on the sidewalk" (in a bit of the song toward the top of this ramble) –  “The Pilgrim, Chapter 33,” which I viewed biographically -- was enhanced by a chance encounter with Bobby Bare and Shel Silverstein that summer of 1972. They helped me steal 1,000 pounds of bricks from Fifth Avenue South, outside a peep show. That story is in my book, Pilgrims, Pickers and Honky-Tonk Heroes, and it may, perhaps, have been that theft that solidified this town as my life’s destination. Course, Kris’ words were the magnet.

In recent years, Kris has been fading.  In 2020, at the beginning of the pandemic, he and Lisa retired from constant touring and filmmaking and settled in at the house at the edge of a volcano in Maui.

There have been occasional appearances. A couple of months ago, he sang with Rosanne Cash at Willie’s televised 90th birthday tribute.  He appeared happy. Withered. Not well.

After that, as I often have done, I called the home on the edge of the volcano to check in with Lisa. Most times, I don’t get a voice, just a message box, and I leave words of love and admiration for Kris, for her and her beautiful spirit and for his family.

When I learned Kris was gone, that he had died Saturday, surrounded by his family, I was sad. But I was grateful he was with those whose lives made his own worth giving up evenings at the Tally-Ho or Tootsie’s or waltzing with the stars on Hollywood Boulevard to stay home with family. Reading books, picking his guitar.  Singing songs and bringing laughter.

“He is happy,” Lisa told me several months ago. “He sits here and sings his songs.”

One of his favorites was “Here Comes That Rainbow Again,” an O. Henry-meets-John Steinbeck tale, a look at the sometimes-hidden goodness of the human spirit.

She sent me a video showing a smiling Kris, out in the yard in Maui, looking for both ends of the rainbow.     

And the daylight was heavy with thunder
With the smell of the rain on the wind
Ain't it just like a human?
Here comes that rainbow again

 Now The Pilgrim of another song, myth and friendship, has found out what’s on the other side.

But if this world keeps right on turnin' for the better or the worse,
And all he ever gets is older and around

From the rockin' of the cradle to the rollin' of the hearse,

The goin' up was worth the comin' down

 I could go on and quote Kris songs until the day after tomorrow. As a younger man, my old pal, Jerry Manley, who is not well, and I would “entertain” at parties by singing from Kris’ songbook. I also did a mean Joe Cocker, but that’s another story.

 I didn’t know way back then that the man who wrote what seemed in many ways to be the story of my own life would become a friend.

 And I didn’t meet him, really, until early in this century, a friendship born first by an interview about music and movies and concreted with a long walk on an uncommonly sunny fall day on Music City Row after Johnny Cash died.

 Now Kris is gone.

  The party’s all over.

Drink up and go home….  

 

 

 

 

4 comments:

  1. Such a heartwarming remembrance of your lovely friendship with my hero. I met him briefly when I worked as Assistant to the GM at King of the Road in 1971. Kris was a beautiful man in every way...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a beautifully written remembrance, Tim. Worthy of its subject. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete